Bacs is the company which runs the Direct Credit and Direct Debit Scheme in the UK, which is used to pay salaries and settle invoices from suppliers; this is commonly referred to just as Bacs.
- Processes sterling (GBP) transactions between UK bank accounts via a 3 day processing cycle
- The only way our customers can collect Direct Debits, e.g. membership / subscription fees & rent collection
- Offers additional functionality to our Bankline service, and may be more cost effective for customers making bulk credit payments, e.g. payroll, pension & supplier payments
- Bacs Service User Numbers – With Bacs, you can facilitate reconciliation by creating separate payment/collection categories and assigning a separate Service User Number (SUN) to each, e.g. different types of payments/collections, authorisation rules, geographical locations, etc. You will need to complete a separate Bacs Application form for each SUN required. Each SUN can be used to send unlimited files
- Signing Users – nominated members of staff you can authorise payments, using smart card & reader
Our web based solution for customers wishing to submit payment or direct debit collection files to Bacs.
- Import payment / Direct Debit files from accounting packages into PayAway-IP Direct, for onward delivery to Bacs
- Send unlimited transactions in one file
- Include individual transactions up to £20m
- Send real time PAYE with your salary payments
- Automatically send a remittance advice with each payment within a file (email remittances free of charge)
- Access reports instantly, highlighting payment / collection rejections
You may also wish to select from the three modules below at an additional charge, providing further automation to your submission & reconciliation process:
- File Polling (Workflow Module) – automatically creates & submits files on a set date by knowing what transactions to collect from where and can be used to collect transactions from multiple accounting systems, including Sage. Workflow eliminates manual upload, plus adds the extra security against potential file tampering with the use of Secure File Transfer Protocol (SFTP).
- Sage Payroll – Alternative to File Polling if you only need to collect transactions from Sage Payroll and do not require the process to be fully automated. Whilst this module automatically creates & submits files by knowing what transactions to collect and from where, the PayAway-IP Direct User will need to remember to prompt the system to do this on each occasion.
- Sage 50 - As per Sage Payroll, but designed for Sage 50 Users. This module also enables the PayAway-IP Direct User to post transaction outcomes back into Sage 50, thereby removing the need for manual reconciliation.
A further 3 Workflow Modules are available, providing you with messaging automation and extended authorisation:
- Messaging – automatic email notification to set distribution lists to inform when a process has taken place in File Polling, advise of actions required during the Bacs submission process and transaction validation issues. There is an opportunity to enhance this further with either or both modules below:
- Extended Authorisation – provides an additional layer of authorisation by sending a payments authorisation code to up to two nominated authorisers. The Bacs file submission can’t progress until one of the nominated logs into PayAway-IP Direct and enters the code in the authorisation box.
- Reporting – Bacs reports automatically sent to set distribution lists, so individuals can update accounting systems.
Tailor made workflow modules are available. Please speak to us for further details.
Password protected log on for all users, plus smart cards and smart card reader for each of your Signing Users.
This lets you digitally sign and secure your payment files, before they are received by Bacs for validation.
Making the transition to PayAway-IP Direct is easy. An installation engineer will install your system and provide you with on-site training.
User guides and on-screen help are also provided. Should you need technical assistance, our Helpdesk is available between 09:00-21:00, Monday – Friday (excl. bank and public holidays)
What you need to operate PayAway-IP Direct
Minimum Pentium III® or equivalent
Minimum of 256MB of free hard disk space
Minimum of 512MB RAM
Standard CD-ROM reader operating at 2x speed or above
A serial or USB port (readers for PMCIA ports are available at additional cost)
Windows® 8.0 & 8.1
Internet Explorer 9 or above and Firefox
Administrator privileges - required for Windows®
0345 600 2230
Text Relay: 18001 0800 404 6160
Customers who will become part of Williams & Glyn when it launches should call 0345 300 0369 or contact your Relationship Manager.
Lines are open Monday to Friday 09:00-17:00 (excl. public holidays)
Do all users require smartcards and readers for PayAway-IP Direct?
Only users who are submitting files to Bacs or downloading Bacs reports will require smartcards and readers, these users are known as ‘signing users’.
Can the software for the PayAway-IP Direct service be used overseas?
The PayAway-IP Direct service can be accessed securely from any location with internet access. All processes that do not require a smartcard can be performed via the internet using the correct URL, user name and password. Signing users submitting files to Bacs or downloading Bacs reports using smartcards will need to submit from designated PCs/laptops with the required smartcard reader configuration.
How will software updates be made to the PayAway-IP Direct service?
One of the benefits of PayAway-IP Direct means that all software updates will take place centrally on the hosted system with minimal or no impact to the end user.
How will training for the PayAway-IP Direct service be undertaken if I have multiple sites?
All training requirements will be discussed with you prior to installation. Training schedules and any associated extra costs will be provided to you in advance.
Will I receive training in the use of the service?
All customers will receive a visit from one of our engineers’ who will set up the service to meet your specific needs and provide full training.